Once you’ve decided that you are ready to shift towards a healthier lifestyle deciding where to start can feel overwhleming. It doesn’t help that there’s a million and one pieces of wellness advice on the internet, amirite!?!
I urge you to keep it simple in the beginning. If you only commit to making one positive change this year, focus on drinking plenty of water. It is THE most important nutrient in your body and the benefits of optimal hydration are numerous!
Benefits of Hydration
- Improves digestion and elimination
- Increases oxygen delivery to our cells benefitting our energy and mental clarity
- Transports nutrients so that all our systems work better
- Helps to regulate body temperature +
How much should you drink?
- Body weight ÷ 2 = the minimum # of ounces you should drink each day
- Ex. – 160 lb person should drink a minimum of 80 oz. per day
- Do not exceed one gallon (128 oz.)
Additional Tips for Hydration Success
- Beverages containing caffeine, sugar, or alcohol are dehydrating so when you drink them, you need to add more water to your base amount.
- Plastic water bottles should ideally be limited and should never be re-used or stored in a warm place (like your car). The chemicals from the plastic will leach into the water. Look into getting a reusable water bottle made of glass or stainless steel.
Once you are more hydrated on a regular basis you will be surprised at how motivated you will feel to take the next step on your Journey to Wellness! Baby steps, Bob ; )
China Rose Zamora is a functional nutritional therapist, clinical herbalist, & yoga teacher who has worked in the holistic health field since 1998 and has proudly served her community as China Rose Wellness since 2009. When she’s not coaching women to rise to their health potential, practicing herbal alchemy, traveling the country via mobile tiny house teaching inspirational workshops to demystify wellness, or co-facilitating transformational retreats with AJ, her-eco warrior partner in adventure, you can find her meandering on the nearest hiking trail or jammin’ at a local, live music venue. China Rose is a firm believer that wellness encompasses everything that nourishes us, body & soul!